If you’re looking for ways to escape the Summer heat, here are my Top 5 suggestions for cooling off locally (in no particular order):
1. Hyde Park Water Fountains. Kids young and old love them. Thanks to the City of Vincent for retaining and rejuvenating this fabulous free outdoor water playground. One of my favourite spots to eat a local takeaway on a hot summer evening.
2. The Swan River. Pack a picnic (or some snags for the BBQ) and head down to Banks Reserve, Maylands or Riverside Gardens, Bayswater for a free swim and splash around.
3. Maylands Waterland. Terrific if your kids are 10 or under. Lots of shelter and low entry fees make this a perennial family favourite (great place for birthday parties too)
4. Beatty Park Leisure Centre, North Perth. This 50 year institution is currently undergoing renovation, with the outdoor lap and indoor pool now completed. The indoor pools and slides have always been terrific for young families, whereas the outdoor lap and dive pool will keep the big kids entertained.
5. Terry Tyzack Aquatic Centre, Inglewood. With a selection of indoor and outdoor pools (including shallowish ones with shade sails) there’s plenty of cool down options.
And if you’re happy to venture a little further, Bayswater Waves on Broun Avenue, Morley has a large wave pool, indoor slide, movie nights and during the Summer school holidays, large inflatables for the bigger kids in the outdoor pool.
Is there anywhere I’ve missed? Le me know what you think of the list or if there’s anywhere else in the neighbourhood that you like to go (preferably public so we can all join in!).