If you’re interested in getting fit (or fitter) but don’t want the expense of joining a gym, or you prefer to do your exercise outdoors with the sun and breeze at your back, there are a number of great local and better yet – free, exercise spots that I suggest you try:
1. Cresswell Road, Dianella. The torture device of choice for early morning walkers, runners and cyclists alike, this 750m long hill can hurt, especially if you’re mad enough to go up it more than once. The view of Perth that awaits you at the top of the hill, especially on a clear day, is stunning and makes it all worthwhile.
2. Riverside cycle path. Park at Banks Reserve, Mount Lawley (or one of the parks in Maylands) and ride your bike along the river into Perth and around the bridges (if you’re really keen) or for something shorter, go the other way and ride down from East Perth to Maylands. Popular with cyclists, runners and walkers alike, it’s terrific fun for one or all the family with lots of great spots to stop and enjoy the river along the way.
3. Yokine Open Space. With a perimeter loop of just over 3.6km of cycle/walk paths and gym equipment dotted along the way, much of it covered by shade, this is a great spot to burn some calories and breathe in some fresh air.
4. A popular inner-city spot, Forrest Park in Mt Lawley (close to Highgate) also has a dog park for your pooch, cycle path (good for kids and walkers, not really appropriate for serious cyclists), playground for the kids and gym equipment to supplement the calorie burning from your around the park walk or run.
5. And last but not least, Hyde Park. Half the fun is walking there if you live nearby. A great all round park that is very popular with local families and walkers – runners tend to go around the perimeter of the park whereas walkers mostly use the paths around the lake. Not recommend for serious cyclists (too many kids and prams) but great for kids learning to ride or if you’re looking for a peaceful and healthy break from life’s hustle and bustle.
Are you a regular user of any of these? Do you have a favourite free exercise spot that I’ve missed? Let us know by leaving a comment below.