If you’ve yet to get your act into gear to organise a gift or a place to take your Mum or that special woman in your life to celebrate Mothers Day, here are my 10 no brainer ideas for supporting and staying local!
- Hit a market. Kyilla Farmers Market, Bayswater Growers’ Market and Perth City Farm all have stalls where you can pick up great last minute gifts – and whilst you’re there, why not do your food shopping so that you can spoil her with a home cooked meal as well?!
- Give the gift of reading. Whether it’s the real thing or a voucher so your Mum can choose her own, you can’t go past Planet or Beaufort Street Books in Mount Lawley or Rabble Books & Games in Maylands for their great advice and well curated selections.
- A platter of her favourite gourmet foods. There’s some amazing and tasty gourmet goodies at Black Pig in Inglewood, Smoults in Maylands or Pimlott & Strand in Dianella. Or local small business Avenue Hampers can set up you up with a special gift basket too. Serve your platter with a glass of bubbles, Mum’s favourite book or movie and give her a blankie to snuggle under – bliss!
- Desserts. You’ve got Mary Street Bakery, the Woodfired Baker, Butter Crumbs Cakes & Pies, Miller & Baker, Chu, Dolcetto – the list goes on! Spoil her with the good stuff.
- Shout her some new clothes and/or accessories (or hit the op-shops!). Check out Favourite Daughter, Ziba or Stash in Inglewood, Department or Estrela (for special jewellery pieces) in Mount Lawley, Morgan Marks or Harlow North in North Perth, Lulu & Sasha or Look Feel Be in Maylands and Torso in Mount Hawthorn. And if you’re averse to adding to landfill or just after a bargain? Check out our blog on 5 to try local Op Shops.
- Something personal or for the home. Where to start?! Faves include Future Shelter and Angove Street Collective in North Perth, Daisy and Rowe and Firefly Gifts in Maylands, Orno Interiors in Highgate, Ware or Mandi at Home in Mount Lawley and La Luna and Mia Flora in Inglewood. And for gifts with a vintage twist, check out Vintage Emporium and So Last Century.
- Pamper her. Nothing says I love you (or you look like crap and in need of a pick me up!) like a pamper session. Be it a gift voucher for make-up or a treatment at your favourite local beauty salon like Cult Cosmetica in Inglewood or a 90 minute specialist massage (as in not frequented by suspect looking types) from Wellness on Beaufort, Muscle Moves on Walcott Street, Physical Focus at the Terry Tyzack Aquatic Centre or Clearmind Studio in Inglewood.
- Breakfast/lunch/dinner on you! If you’ve missed out on booking somewhere get her a voucher to enjoy at her leisure instead. It’s as simple as calling or popping into your fave cafe or restaurant. Soooooo much better (and more welcome) than a Coles/Myer voucher.
- A bottle (or two) of booze. My family knows that one of the presents I love most is a good bottle of bubbles. Or Red. Or Gin. Forget Dan Muphy’s and head to award winning independent deVine Cellars in Inglewood, Grand Cru Wineshop & Cellar in Mount Lawley or La Vigna in Menora . They all have some great boutique and lesser known labels that are no more expensive than what you’ll find in the chains and barns.
- Time with YOU. My favourite and its free. Watch a movie, take a walk, make her a hot drink and sit and chat with her about her week/day/life! That’s the real stuff that will warm her soul and help make the day that more special.
PS – Yep, that’s my Mum.